Rohit Sharma


Cricket Buzz



A fitting reward for a chequered 10-year career


 ..........................







Ever since making his international debut in 2007, Rohit Sharma has been at the receiving end of polarised opinions when it comes to his contributions to Indian cricket. While he has been a heavyweight in the limited-overs format, he hasn't quite been able to make a telling impression in the five-day format over the years. His numbers in first-class cricket are a justification of the talent and batting expertise that he brings to the table - more than 6000 runs at an average of 54.52 with 19 hundreds, including a highest of 309. But the classy right-hander hasn't been able to translate that into awe-inspiring shows, unlike his batsmanship in limited-overs cricket.
While his career has been limited to 21 appearances in the five-day format, the 30-year-old Rohit is a master in his own right when it comes to the limited-overs format. Having rendered his services to Indian limited-overs cricket for 10 years, over 200 appearances in ODIs and T20Is put together, there is no doubting that Rohit has been a significant contributor in the shorter formats, with his twin double hundreds in ODIs and the three titles that Mumbai Indians secured under his leadership lending further weightage to his glittering resume.
Despite his efficiency and proven credentials, the Indian selectors hadn't recognised Rohit as a leadership material, until the MSK Prasad-led panel named him as the deputy to Virat Kohli for the upcoming ODI series against Sri Lanka. The promotion has come after several ups and downs in a chequered career. The journey that led him to now co-leading an Indian team has been a long and eventful one. Be it school cricket, playing in the Ranji Trophy, being picked to represent his nation and sustaining his presence in the team, albeit in the shorter formats, Rohit has endured thorns and flowers along his path. But the one thing that he has been doing - unflinchingly - through this is to man up when brick-bats are thrown and remain down to earth after soaring unparalleled heights.
Reminiscing the journey and acknowledging the latest responsibility that has been put on his shoulders, Rohit, like any cricketer, prefers to stay at the present and take things as they come. "It's gone very fast, those ten years. Yes, it has been up and down but that's how it is for any sportsman. And that's how it should be. You get to learn a lot more when you have your ups and downs. It teaches you a lot many things," says the Mumbaikar.
"I always wait for this opportunity, whenever I get this opportunity, to play for India, whichever format it is. Before those ten years, I never thought I would play for India. I was just enjoying my cricket, playing for my school, for Mumbai and yes, once I realised that cricket is getting tougher and tougher. When I started playing Ranji Trophy, I realised that I have that goal where I can look at. And once I was picked up for Indian team, there was no looking back from then. Even now when I stand here being the vice-captain, it feels pretty good. There's lot more to do and I look forward to it.
"Ten years ago, I was only thinking of playing for India. Being the vice-captain now feels really, really good. It's a kind of honour that whenever the opportunity comes, there will be some sort of role that I will need to play and I am looking forward to it. I am not thinking too much about it, I just want to enjoy the moment as of now. Yes, it will be a good opportunity for me to get on to the field. As we have seen, the last few years have been really good, we just need to continue that," he adds.
While his wait to regain a place in the Test squad might be a longer one, considering the concrete Indian batting order, Rohit isn't flustered about that and is willing to go through the grind as he has done on several occasions in the past. "Nobody likes to sit out. But again, it all depends on the team dynamics, what the captain and the coach want to play. And you got to accept the fact and move forward. That's what I have been doing. I kept working on my skills, my ability, wherever I need to work on and see where I can improve as a cricketer," says the 30-year-old, accepting the fact that he has a lot of work to do to penetrate that fort.
But he isn't one who has a sense of un-fulfilment when it comes to his cricket and the job at hand is what matters to him. That assignment, a limited-overs series against Sri Lanka - a team that has seen more lows than highs of late and a team that Rohit loves batting against - is something that comes with a touch of familiarity.
"I have had some good times against Sri Lanka and at the same time I have had some terrible times against Sri Lanka," says Rohit, quick to point out some of his shortcomings. "In 2012 which I clearly remember and it is something that happens in sport, there will be ups and downs. I have played these guys so many times now, we have come to Sri Lanka many times and we understand the conditions well and you know the kind of cricket you want to play and the opposition and the kind of bowling dynamics they have. We played these guys a lot many times and that will help. I am not thinking about any particular thing, but yes it will always be at the back of my mind that I scored some runs against these guys."
Scoring runs is what Rohit likes to do and a more-than-adequate skill-set comes handy. Acclamation or disapproval, one thing that is guaranteed is that the sweet-flowing drives that leave the onlookers in awe or the edge to first slip after chasing at a wide delivery will continue as long as Rohit's love for the game remains in place - added responsibility or not.

Comments